PENNSYLVANIA SUBSTANCE ABUSE
Rates of Alcohol and Substance Use in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania substance abuse is increasing at an alarming rate. The Commonwealth is among some of the highest-ranking in the U.S. in terms of drinking and drug use. The state also experiences some of the most acute effects of drug and alcohol abuse in most counties and communities.
One report ranked Pennsylvania in the top 20 states with the heaviest drinking rates. Here are some of the highlighted statistics include:
- 60% of adults drink alcoholic beverages
- 28% of adults are "binge" drinkers
- 4% of adults have alcohol addiction
The drug numbers in the state of PA are even more disturbing. An estimated 300,000 people experienced substance use disorder in the last 12 months. Pennsylvania also has the third-highest drug overdose rate in the United States.
Opioids are responsible for about 80% of all overdose deaths. The number of deaths caused by opioid abuse is five times higher than those related to alcohol use.
The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) provides the following significant findings about opioid abuse in the state:
• The high accessibility and demand leading to the abuse of illicit opioids (heroin, fentanyl, counterfeit pills) is a crisis without borders in Pennsylvania. All counties are affected.
• Heroin sourced from Mexican transnational criminal organizations (TCOs) presents a persistent and pervasive drug threat in Pennsylvania.
• The heroin threat to Pennsylvania is intensified by the extraordinary spread of illegally produced fentanyl.
• Heroin and fentanyl supplies in Pennsylvania are abundant and affecting more than 97% of counties.
• Pennsylvania suffered 5,438 drug-related overdose deaths in 2021
PENNSYLVANIA SUBSTANCE ABUSE TREATMENT IN HANOVER.
Located in Hanover, BriteLife Recovery is just 54 miles northwest of Baltimore in the rolling hills of Southeast Pennsylvania. Our full-service treatment center provides holistic, innovative, and evidence-based addiction treatment for detox, residential, and outpatient programs. Our Pennsylvania substance abuse programs focus on recovery, whole health, and wellness. Our addiction professionals provide clients with a therapeutic experience from substance abuse and any co-occurring disorders.
Pennsylvanians get a collaborative approach to addiction care that is centered on client choice that puts them on the path to recovery and wellbeing. Our program elements are evidence-based and integrative with one another. If you or someone you love is suffering from addiction, then BriteLife Recovery can help. Call us today at 866-470-1464 to find out more about our Hanover rehab programs.